Title: Introduction to Archival Processing
When: 10 Nov 2018, 9:00am to 4:00pm
Instructor: Jacinda Bain, Archivist, City of Ottawa Archives
Minimum/maximum participants: 10 minimum and 20 maximum
Cost: $100 (student AAO member); $150 (AAO member); $240 (non-member)
AAO-PDC facilitator: Claire Sutton, AAOEe
Other: Light refreshments and lunch will be provided.
The workshop will introduce participants to the methods and practices archivists use to arrange, describe, preserve and create finding aids for collections of varying sizes. This will include basic conservation practices, handling problem material, guidelines for appraisal and weeding, and restrictions. Participants will have the opportunity to work in groups for hands-on processing.
Objectives for workshop:
The objectives of the workshop is to introduce attendees to basic:
· Arrangement and description
· Appraisal and weeding of collection
· Conservation and preservation
· Creating finding-aids
Jacinda Bain is the President of the Eastern Chapter of the Archives Association of Ontario. She fell into the archival world quite by accident during a visit an archives in Nova Scotia in 1999. Once she returned home, Jacinda quit her job and went back to school at Algonquin College, enrolling in the Archives Technician Program (Intensive). She has worked in the archival field for several years in the Ottawa-Carleton Region. Currently, she is working as an Archivist at the City of Ottawa Archives specializing in municipal records and curation of exhibits.
- Cancellation by registrant up to one week prior to the event: Refund, less 20% cancellation charge to cover administration cost
- Cancellation by registrant one week to 48 hours to the event: Refund, less 50% cancellation charge to cover administration cost
- Cancellation by registrant less than 48 hours prior to the event: No refund
- Registrant did not attend event without any notification: No refund
- In situations where circumstances may have been unforeseen (e.g. death in the family, or hospitalization), a full refund will be offered, if a request is made in writing to the Professional Development Committee for their consideration via the AAO Office.
- All registrants MUST phone and/or email the AAO Office and inform staff they will not be attending a course that they are registered.
This event will take place at the City of Ottawa Archives (100 Tallwood Drive, Ottawa, Ontario). Parking is available at the back of the building.