The AAO depends on its committees to carry out its mandate. The committees deliver services and resources and contribute to the operations of the AAO in various ways. Below is a list of the committees and their chairs, and on each committee page is you will find the rest of the committee's members as well as a description of the committee.
Volunteering with an AAO committee is a great way to gain experience and network with other archivists. No experience is required to join an AAO committee! If you're interested in joining a committee, please contact the AAO Office at email@example.com.
Advises the Board on matters relating to fundraising opportunities, membership recruitment and support, opportunities for collaboration and resource-sharing among like organizations, research sustainable resources, and identify Association-based projects that may be used for fundraising initiatives. To consult the terms of reference, click here.
- Kelsey Beauvais, Chair, 2020-2021
- Jennifer Grant, Board Liaison, 2019-2021
- Sarah McDougall, Member, 2019-2021
- Dominique Rivera, Member, 2019-2021
The Awards Committee is responsible for overseeing the advertising, promotion, adjudication, and presentation of the AAO awards,. These awards include:
- Advertise, promote, adjudicate and present recognition awards supported by the AAO. These awards include: Alexander Fraser, James J. Talman, Institutional and Corporate.
- Advise the AAO Board on new award categories, modifications to existing awards, and opportunities for special recognition.
- Establish eligibility and procedural criteria for AAO awards.
The Committee shall be comprised of a minimum of four individuals who are members in good standing of the AAO (either individual or institutional). One member shall act as Chair. At least two members must be a past recipient of an AAO award. Membership shall generally be for a two-year term and terms may be renewed.
- Rodney Carter, Chair
- Samantha Shields, Board Liaison
- Jean Dryden, Member
- David Sharron, Member
- Matt Szybalski, Member
Communications and Advocacy Committee
The Communications and Advocacy Committee advises the Board on matters relating to communication with the membership, the operation of a program of public awareness and outreach, as well as providing leadership in the event that emergency advocacy is required on behalf of the membership. The Committee will provide liaison with the related committee on the Association of Canadian Archivists (ACA) and other archival institutions, as well as pursuing partnerships with other related bodies.
Visit the Advocacy page for more information about the Committee's work.
- Tys Klumpenhouwer, Chair and Board Liaison
- Daniela Ansovini, Member
- Daniel German, Member
- MacKenzie Gott, Member and Board Liaison
- Laura Hallman, Member
Digital Access and Preservation Committee
The Digital Access and Preservation Committee (DAPC) advises the AAO Board and membership at large on matters relating to preserving and accessing digital archival collections in Ontario. For further details, please see the committee’s Terms of Reference.
- Samantha Shields, Library and Archives Canada, Chair (2019-2023)
- Iona McCraith, AAO Archives Advisor, Member (2018-2022)
- Lisa Snider, Archeion Coordinator, Member (2018-2022)
- Elizabeth Carroll, TVO, Secretary (2018-2021)
- Bridget Whittle, McMaster University Archives and Research Collections, Member (2018-2022)
- Grant Hurley, University of Toronto/ Scholars Portal, Member (2018-2021)
- Emily Sommers, University of Toronto Archives and Records Management Services, Member (2018-2021)
- Jennifer Georgiou, Wellington County Museum and Archives, Member (2020-2022)
- Mitchel Parker, Member (2020-2022)
- Melanie Davey, Western University, Member (2020-2022)
Institutional Development Committee
The Institutional Development Committee (IDC) advises the Board on all matters pertaining to the interests of institutions in Ontario and the development of a provincial archives system. The Committee shall advise the Board on matters relating to the allocation and adjudication of grants to Institutional Members, and the establishment of criteria to determine such allocations.
For more information about the Provincial Acquisition Strategy (PAS) and the role the IDC has played in supporting it's development, please visit the Provincial Acquisition Strategy page.
- Jessica Barr, John M. Kelly Library, University of St. Michael's College, University of Toronto, Chair and Board Liaison
- Lindsay Osmun, CIBC Archives
- Ryan Kirkby, University of Guelph Archival & Special Collections
- Sean Smith, Archives of Ontario
- Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archives
- Dominy Williams, Bishop Farrell Library & Archives, Diocese of Hamilton
- Sean Hayes, Seneca College Archives
- Lisa Snider, Archeion Coordinator
- Iona McCraith, AAO Archives Advisor
Local Arrangements Committee
- Jenna Lemay, Chair, Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre, Algoma University
- William Hollingshead, Sault Ste. Marie Museum
- Kevin Meraglia, Sault Ste. Marie Public Library, Archives
- Louisa Orford, Blind River Museum/ Local Public Historian
- Nicole Curry, Friends of the Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site
- Kathy Fisher, Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site
- Maddy Bifano, Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre, Algoma University
Professional Development Committee
The Professional Development Committee of the Archives Association of Ontario supports the archival community by providing basic and continuing education pertaining to information management. The committee seeks to:
- Determine educational needs within the archival community and in conjunction with the AAO Advisor and the Archeion Coordinator.
- Engage in active communication with the AAO chapters and committees in order to support them in the development of workshops.
- Provide educational workshops at the annual AAO conference.
- Develop and deliver educational curricula, in the form of both in-person workshops and through the use of new technologies.
Katrina Cohen-Palacios, York University, Co-Chair, 2019-2021
John Yolkowski, Humber College, Co-Chair, 2020-2022
Krista McCracken, Algoma University, Board Liaison, 2020-2022
Alisha Barron, Workplace Safety & Insurance Board, 2020-2022
Melissa Caza, McMaster University, 2020-2022
Sarah Glassford, University of Windsor, 2020-2022
Molly McGowan, Prince Edward County Public Library and Archives, 2019-2021
Christine Schindler, Stratford Festival, 2020-2022
Steve Kim, University of Toronto iSchool, 2020-2022
Jenna Lemay, Conference Chair, Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre, Algoma University
Krista McCracken, Committee Chair, Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre, Algoma University
- Rachel Beattie, Media Commons Archive, Robarts Library, University of Toronto
- Katrina Cohen-Palacios, York University
- Daniel German, Library and Archives Canada
- Laura Hernandez, Library and Archives Canada
- Skylee-Storm Hogan, Know History
- Sara Janes, Lakehead University
- Moska Rokay, Institute of Islamic Studies, University of Toronto
- Raegan Swanson, the ArQuives
- Jennifer Weymark, Oshawa Museum
- Maddy Bifano, Algoma University
Student and New Professional Outreach Committee
The Student and New Professional Outreach Committee will build on continuing work to engage current student members, and attract new student members to the AAO, with opportunities for funding, networking, and workshops to supplement their education.
- Jenna Lemay, Chair
- Melissa Caza
- Christopher Hogendoorn
- Amber Mandich
- Michelle Pariag
- James Roussain, Board Liaison