The AAO depends on its committees to carry out its mandate. The committees deliver services and resources and contribute to the operations of the AAO in various ways. Below is a list of the committees and their chairs, and on each committee page is you will find the rest of the committee's members as well as a description of the committee.
Volunteering with an AAO committee is a great way to gain experience and network with other archivists. No experience is required to join an AAO committee! If you're interested in joining a committee, please contact the AAO Office at email@example.com.
Advises the Board on matters relating to fundraising opportunities, membership recruitment and support, opportunities for collaboration and resource-sharing among like organizations, research sustainable resources, and identify Association-based projects that may be used for fundraising initiatives.
- Jennifer Grant, Acting Co-Chair and Board Liaison
- James Roussain, Acting Co-Chair and Board Liaison
- Emma Carey, Member
The Awards Committee is responsible for overseeing the advertising, promotion, adjudication, and presentation of the AAO awards,. These awards include:
- Advertise, promote, adjudicate and present recognition awards supported by the AAO. These awards include: Alexander Fraser, James J. Talman, Institutional and Corporate.
- Advise the AAO Board on new award categories, modifications to existing awards, and opportunities for special recognition.
- Establish eligibility and procedural criteria for AAO awards.
The Committee shall be comprised of a minimum of four individuals who are members in good standing of the AAO (either individual or institutional). One member shall act as Chair. At least two members must be a past recipient of an AAO award. Membership shall generally be for a two-year term and terms may be renewed.
- Rodney Carter, Chair
- Jean Dryden, Member
- David Sharron, Member
- Matt Syzbalski, Member
Communications and Advocacy Committee
The Communications and Advocacy Committee advises the Board on matters relating to communication with the membership, the operation of a program of public awareness and outreach, as well as providing leadership in the event that emergency advocacy is required on behalf of the membership. The Committee will provide liaison with the related committee on the Association of Canadian Archivists (ACA) and other archival institutions, as well as pursuing partnerships with other related bodies.
The Committee includes a Student Outreach Subcommittee to coordinate student outreach activities across the AAO.
Visit the Advocacy page for more information about the Committee's work.
- Bailey Chui, Chair
- Jennifer Grant, Board Liaison
- Daniela Ansovini, Member
- Daniel German, Member
- MacKenzie Gott, Member and Board Liaison
- Megan Kerrigan, Member
- Laura Hallman, Past-Chair
Digital Access and Preservation Committee
The Digital Access and Preservation Committee (DAPC) advises the AAO Board and membership at large on matters relating to preserving and accessing digital archival collections in Ontario. For further details, please see the committee’s Terms of Reference.
- Emily Sommers, University of Toronto Archives & Records Management Services, Chair
- Iona McCraith, AAO Archives Advisor, Member
- Samantha Sheilds, Library and Archives Canada, Board Liaison
- Lisa Snider, Archeion Coordinator, Member
- Lisa Lawlis, Lennox & Addington County Museum & Archives, Member
- Elizabeth Carroll, Regional Municipality of York, Member
- Bridget Whittle, McMaster University Archives and Research Collections, Member
- Grant Hurley, University of Toronto, Member
- Jessica Haskell, City of Toronto, Member
- Devon Mordell, University of Windsor Library, Member
- Stephenie Agnew, Regional Municipality of York, Member
- Kaye Prince-Hollenberg, Hamilton Public Library, Member
Institutional Development Committee
The Institutional Development Committee (IDC) advises the Board on all matters pertaining to the interests of institutions in Ontario and the development of a provincial archives system. The Committee shall advise the Board on matters relating to the allocation and adjudication of grants to Institutional Members, and the establishment of criteria to determine such allocations.
For more information about the Provincial Acquisition Strategy (PAS) and the role the IDC has played in supporting it's development, please visit the Provincial Acquisition Strategy page.
- Vacant, Chair and Board Liaison (2019-2020)
- Lindsay Osmun, CIBC (2018-2020)
- Ryan Kirkby, University of Guelph (2017-2019)
- Sean Smith, Archives of Ontario (2014-2020)
- Paul Henry, City of Ottawa Archives (2017-2020)
- Zoe Thrumston, Ottawa Jewish Archives (2019-2020)
- Dominy Williams, Bishop Farrell Library & Archives, Diocese of Hamilton (2019 -2021)
- Lisa Snider, Archeion Coordinator
- Iona McCraith, AAO Archives Advisor
Professional Development Committee
The Professional Development Committee of the Archives Association of Ontario supports the archival community by providing basic and continuing education pertaining to information management. The committee seeks to:
- Determine educational needs within the archival community and in conjunction with the AAO Advisor and the Archeion Coordinator.
- Engage in active communication with the AAO chapters and committees in order to support them in the development of workshops.
- Provide educational workshops at the annual AAO conference.
- Develop and deliver educational curricula, in the form of both in-person workshops and through the use of new technologies.
- Katrina Cohen-Palacios, Chair
- Lauren Halsey, Board Liaison, (2018-May 2020)
- Jacinda Bain, Member, (2016-February 2020)
- Hilary Barlow, Member, (2018-May 2020)
- Darcy Hiltz, Member, (2016-May 2020)
- Mary Horman, Secretary, (2016-October 2020)
- Jean Hung, Member, (2017-August 2019)
- Stacey Lapp, Website/Publicity Coordinator, (2017-August 2019)
- Emily Tyschenko, Member, (2018-May 2020)
Student Outreach Subcommittee
The Student Outreach Subcommittee, a subcommittee of the AAO's Advancement Committee, will build on continuing work to engage current student members, and attract new student members to the AAO, with opportunities for funding, networking, and workshops to supplement their education.
- Jenna Lemay, Chair
- Melissa Caza
- Christopher Hogendoorn
- Amber Mandich
- Michelle Pariag
- James Roussain, Board Liaison