The AAO advocates on behalf of archives and archivists in Ontario, as well as other related organizations such as libraries, museums, and heritage organizations. The AAO advocates for government at every level regarding archival initiatives and funding streams in order to improve support for archival and archivally-related institutions throughout the province.
The AAO also works closely with the Canadian Council of Archives and the Association of Canadian Archivists to improve the work of archivists throughout the country.
Below, you will find articles about all of the AAO's recent advocacy efforts. Advocacy initiatives are managed by the AAO's Communications and Advocacy Committee.
- Response to Discussion Paper for Community Museums and Heritage Organizations for the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, April 16th (PDF)
- Response to TorStar-Postmedia deal and effect on the newspaper backfiles and archives (Word)
- Response to US Travel Ban (Word)
- Response to the closure of the consultation room and the layoff of staff at the Musée de la civilisation du Québec, July 6, 2016 (PDF)
- Letter to Minister of Tourism, Culture, and Sport about Ontario's first Cultural Strategy, May 11, 2016 (PDF)
- Letter to Ancestry.ca regarding practices of Ancestry.com, May 2015 (PDF)
- AAO Response to Ontario Cultural Strategy, February 2016 (PDF)
- Participated in the national Library Leaders Advocacy Coalition
- Archives Association of Ontario submission on the challenges facing archives, February 2, 2014 (PDF)
- Joint Statement in Response to LAC Code of Conduct (English-PDF, French-PDF)
- Endorsement of the Joint Statement on Qualities of a Successful Librarian and Archivist of Canada, May 24, 2013 (PDF)
- Letter to Minister Moore regarding reinstatement of the National Archival Development Program, June 21, 2013 (PDF)
- Letter in support of the proposed application of the Lakes & Islands Times Past: Archives and Digitization Partnership, February 23, 2012 (PDF)
- Letter to the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, James Moore, regarding the elimination of the National Archival Development Program, May 16, 2012 (PDF)
- Letter to Peggy Nash, MP Parkdale-High Park regarding the elimination of the National Archival Development Program, May 16, 2012 (PDF)