Title: Indigeneity and Archives
When: May 8, 2019, 9:00am-4:00pm
Instructor: Camille Callison
Minimum/maximum participants: 10 minimum and 40 maximum
Cost: $100 (student AAO member); $150 (AAO member); $240 (non-member)
Other: Refreshments will be provided but participants will are responsible for their own lunch.
Participants will look at how to ensure policies and best practices comply with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. For example, records that attest to Indigenous knowledge may be held in archives without the context in which these records can be understood and remain living cultural expressions. Issues related to informed consent, cultural protection, copyright and subject headings will be surveyed.
Camille Callison, member of the Tahltan Nation in Northern BC, is the Learning & Organizational Development Librarian and PhD student (Anthropology) at the University of Manitoba. Camille is Past Chair of the Indigenous Matters Committee, a Copyright Committee member, chaired the Truth and Reconciliation Committee and was on the founding board of the Canadian Federation of Library Associations (CFLA-FCAB). Camille is an Indigenous Partner on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Taskforce and a member of IFLA Indigenous Matters Section Standing Committee, National Film Board Indigenous Advisory Group and Canadian Commission for UNESCO Memory of the World Committee and Sector Commission on Culture, Communications & Information.
Kente Building, RM 2L50, Loyalist College, Belleville, Ontario
- Cancellation by registrant up to one week prior to the event: Refund, less 20% cancellation charge to cover administration cost
- Cancellation by registrant one week to 48 hours to the event: Refund, less 50% cancellation charge to cover administration cost
- Cancellation by registrant less than 48 hours prior to the event: No refund
- Registrant did not attend event without any notification: No refund
- In situations where circumstances may have been unforeseen (e.g. death in the family, or hospitalization), a full refund will be offered, if a request is made in writing to the Professional Development Committee for their consideration via the AAO Office.
- All registrants MUST phone and/or email the AAO Office and inform staff they will not be attending a course that they are registered.