AAO 2013-2015 BOARD NOMINEES

01 May 2013 6:20 PM | Kelli Babcock

I am pleased to announce the following nominees for the AAO's 2013-2015 Board positions:
Vice President/President-Elect, 2013-2015: Ned Struthers
Treasurer, 2013-2015: Jesika Arseneau
Secretary, 2013-2015: Laura Hallman
Institutional Development Committee Chair, 2013-2015: Matt Szybalski

Positions will be elected at the AAO's 2013 Annual General Meeting in Ottawa on Friday, May 31st.

On behalf of the 2013 AAO Nominations Committee,
Kelli Babcock
AAO Vice President/President-Elect, 2013-2014
Special Projects Librarian | Digital Scholarship Unit @ University of Toronto Scarborough Library

Read on for more information about our nominees!

Ned Struthers is currently enrolled in the Master of Information program at the University of Toronto pursuing dual concentrations in Archives and Records Management and Knowledge and Information Management. Prior to beginning his studies at the University of Toronto Ned completed a Master's degree in History at the University of Guelph and a Bachelor's degree in History and Political Studies at Trent University. Between degrees Ned worked for several years in academic publishing as a Sales and Editorial Representative for Nelson Education, and he is currently employed by Sanofi Pasteur (a large pharmaceutical company) in their Sites and Knowledge Network division. This past year Ned was involved in student government as a Faculty Council Representative, a Graduate Student Union Representative, and as a member of the UTGSU's Branding and Identity Committee. Currently, Ned sits as a student representative on the iSchool's Tech Fund and on the Information Services Committee. In his spare time Ned enjoys gardening, cooking Italian food, and biking all around Toronto.

Jesika Arseneau is a 2012-2013 Public History Master's student at Western University. She has experience working with both museums and archives; her summer internship will be spent completing an archival research project at the Royal Ontario Museum. Jesika has worked with the archival material at the Agnes Etherington Art Center and Canada's Penitentiary Museum, gaining experience in both research and conservation. Most recently Jesika has worked in a management position at the Gap for over three years, demonstrating skills in budget management, handling store funds, and training staff. Jesika is nominating herself for the position of Treasurer with the Board of Directors for the AAO.

Laura Hallman: Hello fellow archivists! My name is Laura Hallman and I have been nominated for the position of Secretary for the Executive Board of Directors of the AAO. I am an organized, enthusiastic and dedicated person, and I believe that my educational background, employment history and volunteering experiences make me an excellent candidate for the position. In June 2010, I graduated with an MISt from the iSchool at the University of Toronto with a focus in Archives and Records Management. During my time at school, I was involved in student life as both the Treasurer and Vice-President of the Association of Canadian Archivists Student Chapter, and as a co-coordinator of the Mentoring@iSchool program. Since 2009, I have worked at the United Church of Canada General Council Archives as a Contract Archivist, and am currently coordinating the Document Collection Program in the Archives for the federal Truth and Reconciliation Commission. I have been a Volunteer Archivist at the Canadian Lesbian and Gay Archives since 2009, working mainly with photographic collections, and I sit on the Programming and Fundraising Committees for Camp Quin-Mo-Lac, a summer camp I attended for 14 years. I enjoy exploring Toronto, hiking with my dog, travelling, reading, photography, and, when time permits, visiting my cottage on Lac Des Deux Montagnes, Quebec or my hometown of Kingston. I look forward to further serving members of the Archives community as Secretary of the AAO Board!

Matt Szybalski received a Master of Library Science degree from the University of Toronto in 1987. He has an HBa in History and English from York University. Matt worked for the Scotiabank Group Archives for 19 years, including 13 years as Assistant Manager, before becoming the City Archivist and Corporate Records Manager for the City of Thunder Bay in 2007. Matt is a past president of the Toronto Area Archivists Group, past Vice-President of the Association of Canadian Archivists, and Chair of the Conference Committee for the 2011 Archives Association of Ontario Conference held in Thunder Bay. Matt is currently the Vice President of the Northwestern Ontario Archivists Association, a chapter of the Archives Association of Ontario. Matt is a Certified Archivist and was a member of the Exam Development Committee of the Academy of Certified Archivists from 2011 to 2013. He has presented papers at the annual conferences of the Association of Canadian Archivists and the Archives Association of Ontario Matt successfully completed the Municipal Administration Program of AMCTO in 2011, the Electronic Records Manager Practitioner program of AIIM in 2008, and is currently working on his Certified Records Manager Designation.

Address: 411 Richmond Street East, Suite 200, Toronto, ON M5A 3S5

Phone: 647-343-3334 | Email: aao@aao-archivists.ca